Friday 22 November 2013

THE POT BELLY BARD - THE EMPTY CORNER

"Face the corner" was my reprimand'
Memories good and bad are embedded
Of you lifting me, caressing me, kissing me;
That very space where we huddled, I the child and You the parent.

In that corner you read me stories, folklore of yore
Enemies aplenty, heroes few, as i tugged the blanket
In your arms i fell asleep, as gentle as a tiger cub
The warmth and love, equal to a thousand campfires.

But time takes its dues, death and taxes are its ruthless agents
You collapsed single, but returned draped in white
I watched from that very corner, as your legacy was placed on four shoulders
A lamp was lit as you embarked for a better world.

Cartoons silly and nilly stand etched, unwashed and untouched
That space we shared is my sanity and sanctum
"Furniture is the need of hour" to me is declared
Not at all, my dear Bard...that is more than an empty corner.

No comments:

Post a Comment